Education and Professional Stream
ArtWorksTO is delivered through 2 streams:
1.) ArtWorksTO Foundations Stream | For emerging, early and mid-career creative professionals who want to grow their independent enterprises and boost their professional profile through paid work and creative networking experiences.
This stream includes:
2) ArtWorksTO Next Stream:
- Skills to Work: a guaranteed, paid creative contract with an industry partner
- NetWorking: industry networking, masterclasses, and panels offered by the Remix Project, Neighbourhood Arts Network, and the City of Toronto
- Industry Insider: industry mentorship provided by the Remix Project
For emerging early-and mid-career creative professionals who want to broaden their options as creative professionals through paid work, creative networking, and business and professional skills training experiences.
This stream includes:
- ArtWorksTO Foundations (including Skills to Work, NetWorking, and Industry Insider as described above), plus
- Education to Work: Certificate in Art and Design Professional Skills delivered by OCAD U to develop creative business skills
Am I eligible for ArtWorksTO: Education and Professional Stream?
You are eligible if you are:
- Residents of Toronto
- Youth 18-29 (by the application deadline)
- Youth who identify as Indigenous, Black, People of Colour and/or
- Youth who identify as 2SLGBTQ+ (Two-spirited, lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer)
- Media artist | Youth with experience (either self-taught or through community-based or formal training) as a media artist (videographer, graphic designer, illustrator, photographer, social media communications, User Experience - UX design, etc.)
- Youth artists with career aspirations in the creative industries as a media-based artist, entrepreneur, freelancer, or working professional
EDUCATION TO WORK
OCAD University's Continuing Studies Certificate in Art and Design Professional Skills (October 2021 to June 2021) will provide selected participants with:
- A stipend of $200 per course for a total of up to $800 to assist with costs to facilitate learning, such as hardware, software, childcare, travel, etc
The certificate program includes:
- Portfolio Workshop
- Monthly group check-ins
- Professional Practice for Emerging Artists and Designers (Continuing Studies)
- Three (3) elective courses (Continuing Studies) from the following:
- Social Media Marketing for Creative Professionals
- Introduction to Entrepreneurship for Artists and Designers: Turning Your Idea into a Viable
- Ecommerce Photography Workshop
- The Cost of Creative Work: Pricing Products and Service
- Accounting for Creative Professionals
- Introduction to Design Thinking
- Basic Design Principles
- Editorial Design Studio
- The Art of Type
- Colour Theory for Digital Design
- Documentary Photography Studio
- Inclusive Design for Digital Media
- Introduction to Visual Analytics
- Introduction to User Interface (UI) and User Experience (UX) Design
- Introduction to Web Analytics
*OCAD U courses will be conducted online. Selected youth will have until June 2021 to complete the program.
Please see below for OCAD U course descriptions
SKILLS TO WORK
Paid contracts (February- May 2021) with the City of Toronto and partner organizations (OCADU, Toronto Arts Foundation and The Remix Project) to create communications products (videos, photographs, brochures, posters, websites, social media campaigns, etc.).
- Contracts will be awarded through a selection committee made up of project staff, industry professionals and ArtWorksTO alumni.
- The average amount of each contract will be $4,000 per participant.
Mentorship with industry professionals (February- May 2021)
- Selected participants will be matched with Industry Advisors from The Remix Project.
- The advisors will offer:
- technical advice on your paid contracts
- career mentorship through one-on-one and small group support
Professional development activities (February- May 2021)
Professional development through continuous learning and engagement opportunities including:
- Master Classes
- Industry panels
- Peer networking events
- Branded Youth Entrepreneurship Conference (2022)
Optional: Employment support (November 2021- May 2022) through the City's Toronto Youth Partnerships & Employment (TYPE) program, to provide:
- Assistance with employment goals, including education, training and wellness support
STAY TUNED! APPLICATION WILL OPEN FALL 2020
TO VIEW AND DOWNLOAD FULL PROGRAM GUIDELINES CLICK HERE.