ArtWorksTO provides opportunities for youth media artists (18-29) who identify as Indigenous, Black and People of Colour and/or 2SLGBTQ+ to gain professional experience, skills and network in the media arts industry.
ArtWorksTO is a partnership between the Toronto Arts Foundation's Neighbourhood Arts Network (NAN), City of Toronto, The Remix Project, and Ontario College of Art & Design University (OCADU).
This robust program includes:
- Portfolio Development Workshop delivered by OCAD U | Register by Sept 25, 2020
- Certificate in Art and Design Professional Skills delivered by OCAD U to develop creative business skills
- Paid project contract with the City of Toronto and partner arts organizations (OCADU, Toronto Arts Foundation, and the Remix Project)
- Mentorship with industry advisors delivered by The Remix Project
- Employment supports through the City's Toronto Youth Partnerships & Employment (TYPE) program (optional), to provide:
- Assistance with employment goals, including education, training and wellness supports
Am I eligible for ArtWorksTO?
ArtWorksTO is open to:
- Residents of Toronto
- Youth 18-29 (by the application deadline)
- Youth who identify as Indigenous, Black, People of Colour and/or
- Youth who identify as 2SLGBTQ+ (Two-spirited, lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer)
- Youth with experience (either self-taught or through community-based or formal training) as a media artist (videographer, graphic designer, illustrator, photographer, social media communications, User Experience - UX design, etc.)
- Youth artists with career aspirations in the creative industries as a media-based artist, entrepreneur, freelancer, or working professional
What are the activities offered through ArtWorksTO?
1.) ArtWorksTO Foundations Stream | For emerging early and mid-career creative professionals who want to grow their independent enterprises and boost their professional profile through paid work and creative networking experiences.
This stream includes:
- Skills to Work: a guaranteed, paid creative contract with an industry partner
- NetWorking: industry networking, masterclasses, and panels offered by the Remix Project, Neighbourhood Arts Network, and the City of Toronto
- Industry Insider: industry mentorship provided by the Remix Project
2) ArtWorksTO Next Stream | For emerging early-and mid-career creative professionals who want to broaden their options as creative professionals through paid work, creative networking, and business and professional skills training experiences.
This stream includes:
- ArtWorksTO Foundations (including Skills to Work, NetWorking, and Industry Insider as described above), plus
- Education to Work: Certificate in Art and Design Professional Skills delivered by OCAD U to develop creative business skills
ArtWorksTO is funded by the Government of Canada’s Future Skills Centre. Le projet Bridging the Gap est financé par le Centre des Compétences futures du gouvernement du Canada.