RBC Newcomer Arts Award
The RBC Newcomer Arts Award is designed to support the future potential of newcomer artists working in a range of disciplines across the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). Awards of up to $2000 are intended to support each recipient’s artistic practice.
Applications are open from September 13 to October 18, 2021 @ midnight.
About: The RBC Newcomer Arts Award offers micro-awards to newcomer (immigrant and refugee) artists presented by Toronto Arts Foundation and administered by Neighbourhood Arts Network. The award program is sponsored by RBC Foundation.
Applicants must be:
- An artist who has lived in Canada for 7 years or less
- A Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident, Approved Refugee Claimant (i.e. Protected Person) or have applications for permanent residency or citizenship pending
- Over 18 years old
- A resident of the City of Toronto OR Halton, Peel, York, Durham municipalities
- A member of Neighbourhood Arts Network. If you are not a member, sign up here
*Artists can receive only one RBC Newcomer Arts Award per year.
To nominate an individual for the Award, you must:
- Visit the Toronto Arts Foundation Nomination portal: https://tac.smartsimple.ca/welcome/taf/
- Register an account on the Toronto Arts Foundation Nomination portal or sign in to your existing account
- Submit the nomination online, complete with supporting material
- Please note: artists may self-nominate for this Award
Awards will be assessed on the following criteria:
- The artistic strength and/or future potential of the artist
- Impact on the artist’s current practice
An awards panel of up to 5 members will review nominations and make recipient recommendations. Award panelists are selected for their expertise, credibility and familiarity with the newcomer experience. Each panel is composed of artists, arts workers and community leaders.
How to Apply:
- Visit https://tac.smartsimple.ca/welcome/taf/
- Create a Smart Simple account
- Submit your nomination form
Click here to download the full guidelines.
- Nominees can save their application at any time before submission by clicking ‘Save Draft.’ Nominees can log-in and out of TAF Awards portal as many times as needed before clicking ‘Submit.’
- Please ensure you are on the Toronto Arts Foundation Awards portal and NOT Toronto Arts Council's TAC Grants Online portal..
The RBC Newcomer Arts Award is made possible by RBC Foundation.
Click here for a list of all past recipients.
Please contact Angie by email at angie(at)torontoarts(dot)org