Newcomer Day Visual Arts Exhibition
"Geographies of Belonging" is visual arts exhibition curated by Claudia Arana showcasing the work of 15 newcomer professional artists.
From May 9- May 16, 15 newcomer professional visual artists are showcasing their work in a group exhibition in City Hall Rotunda to celebrate the 5th anniversary of Newcomer Day in the City of Toronto.
Newcomer Day is an annual event hosted by the City of Toronto at Nathan Phillips Square, where different organizations are presented to share resources that people new to Canada might benefit from or take pleasure in. Did you know that Toronto was once known as "The Meeting Place"? Today, Toronto is home to many Indigenous people, descendants of settlers, and people from many different cultures that now live in Canada. Newcomer Day seeks to recognize the incredible value that people new to Canada contribute to the Canadian cultural fabric – some of whom are artists!
In addition to curating the exhibition, we will have a booth set up in Nathan Phillips Square. Come say hi before checking out the exhibit in the Rotunda!
ABOUT THE CURATOR
Claudia Arana is an independent curator and visual artist with a Bachelor and a Master Degree in Visual Arts. She studied at the (SVA) School of Visual Arts and at the (ICP) International Centre of Photography, both in New York. Recently, her work has been oriented to the community-engaged arts and her curating method is continually and reflectively adapting to different socio-political and historical contexts to ensure that art is been created and promoted from different social and cultural perspectives.
This exhibition is a partnership between Neighbourhood Arts Network, Toronto Employment Services' Art Connections Program and City of Toronto Newcomer Office
- Shabnam Afrand, multi-disciplinary artist
- Andrea Vela Alarcón, illustrator and arts educator
- Mariana Bolaños, multi-disciplinary artist
- Mirna Chacín, photographer
- David Chinyama, visual artist
- Nellys García, visual artist
- Manal Husain, photographer
- Ghazaleh Naderian, visual artist
- Juan Pablo Obando, visual artist
- Maryam Pazooki, multi-disciplinary artist
- Jamileh Salek, visual artist
- Alice Shin, filmmaker
- Aitak Sorahitalab, visual artist and arts educator
- June Tenzin, visual artist
- Fan Zhang, visual artist