JOB OPPORTUNITY | XSPACE CULTURAL CENTRE
Xspace Cultural Centre is hiring a Summer Graphic Designer!
Xpace Cultural Centre is currently seeking an emerging Graphic Designer currently enrolled at OCAD University to work in collaboration with the Xpace Director and Programming Coordinators to manage, plan and execute the design, publication and printing of Xpace’s annual publication,
This position is a part-time, 8 week contract commencing June 23, 2020. Compensation is $16.15/hour at 30 hours per week. The Graphic Designer may work remotely, but must commit to one 6-hour shift at Xpace/week (schedule TBD upon hiring and within the circumstances). June 23, 2020 – August 18, 2020.
Description of Tasks
The Graphic Designer works Tuesday-Saturday, 12-6pm. The following tasks will be expected:
- Developing a unique front and back cover concept for the VOLUME publication following RGD (Registered Graphic Designers) Ontario guidelines for accessible graphic design;
- Preparing a preliminary page count estimate for the publication and sourcing print quotes from printers;
- Designing and typesetting the interior pages of the publication following RGD accessible graphic design guidelines;
- Facilitating the printing process with chosen printer and ensuring the publication is printed and delivered by its final deadline;
- Designing promotional material (posters, flyers, e-newsletter template, etc) as needed.
The ideal candidate:
- Is currently enrolled in a post-secondary design and/or art program at OCAD University, and qualifies for the IWSP program;
- Goal-oriented and able to work in a team
- Possesses excellent administrative, communication, verbal and organizational skills;
- Has a knowledge and interest in contemporary visual art and design practices;
- Comfortable working in a Mac environment;
- Comfortable with Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop and Microsoft Office;
- Experience in publication design will be considered an asset.
This position is partially funded by the Institutional Work Study Plan and students must meet all of the following criteria:
- Must be a Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident, or Protected Person and
- Must be either an Ontario resident or out-of-province student and submitted an error free loan application during the 2019/20 academic year that was assessed and issued funding, or band funded student, and
- Must have been enrolled full-time during the 2019/20 academic year (Fall/Winter) and
- Must be returning to studies in the Fall 2020 (Note: students graduating in June 2020 are not eligibility for summer IWSP), and
- Must submit a 2020 Summer IWSP application and receive an approval email from Financial Aid & Awards
How to apply
IWSP Student Approval Letter: Students must submit an OCAD U Work Study Application Form for the summer semester to the Financial Aid & Awards in order to verify their eligibility under the program. Students will receive a response via email within 5 business days.
Please email resume and cover letter (PDF format) with a digital design portfolio or sample (web link is OK) to email@example.com with the subject heading: ATTN Hiring Committee (Graphic Designer).
Deadline: Friday, June 5th 2020 @ 11:59 PM