JOB OPPORTUNITY | REELWORLD
Reelworld is hiring a Film and Industry Programming Director!
Founded in 2001 by Tonya Williams, Reelword is non-profit and the longest running initiative in Canada dedicated to creating more opportunities for BIPOC (Black, Indigenous and People of Colour) Canadian filmmakers, content creators and all talent, in front of and behind the screen. Reelworld empowers people, and supporting BIPOC is a valuable return on investment. They showcase, give opportunity to, and provide professional development to BIPOC Canadian talent, whose work sparks positive social change. They accomplish this through Reelworld Film Festival and Reelworld Screen Institute.
Reelworld, now in its 20th year, is a long standing, respected film festival and home for BIPOC Canadian content creators and talent. We are seeking an individual who has 3+ years programming films and organizing industry panels. Someone with experience in distribution or programming for a broadcast would also be a good fit. This person must be a film enthusiast, who is highly motivated and creative, to oversee our film and industry programming for the annual film festival, year-round professional development and industry networking events, and youth workshops. This full-time position will provide an opportunity for an experienced, knowledgeable, ambitious individual to take on a significant role in managing and developing the strategic planning in shaping the programming that speaks to Reelworld’s vision and mandate. You must be an efficient, well-organized person who works well under pressure, with strong leadership skills. We are a small team and require staff who work well with others, take direction well, and who are professionals who take initiative, can work without supervision and begin projects independently. Your values and Reelworld’s must align as you will be expected to represent Reelworld at industry events and at the annual Festival.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in overall organizational planning including Strategic and Operational plans, Annual Budgets, and Departmental work plans.
- Develop strategic plan to optimize our resources and leverage our existing and potential partnerships to increase workshops, mentorship and learning opportunities for youth and artists.
- Develop and maintain relationships with sponsors to increase funding for programming.
- Develop and maintain relationships with film community professionals, including film talent, studios, publicists, producers, agents and managers.
- Oversee coop students and interns.
- Develop Critical Path for Film Programming.
- Aggressively seek out new films by Canadian BIPOC filmmakers; select films for inclusion in festival; coordinate film schedule; write film synopses; maintain filmmaker database;
- Represent Reelworld and speak to our shared mission and values at Festival and industry events
- Develop and execute industry panels comprised of actors, directors and enthralling topics for audiences.
- Develop and execute community workshops for youth.
- Execute E20 Program: Participate in Emerging 20 selection Process; reach out to BIPOC professionals on every level to create 2 weeks of workshops aimed at increasing artists’ skills; facilitate networking training events; coordinate one-on-one meetings between the artists and leading professionals in the Canadian screen-based entertainment industry.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in film/media/cinema studies, or related.
- Strong Canadian entertainment industry contacts.
- 3+ years of experience in executing industry and screening programs for festivals or entertainment and media industry.
- Experience in working both outside and inside film institutions.
- Knowledge and passionate about culture and entertainment as a tool to make social change.
- Detail oriented and managing time.
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient in all Social Media platforms, Photoshop, MS office, G suite, Graphic Design, Image and Video Editing and possessed of the enthusiasm and ability to learn platform specific best practices.
- Available to work during normal business hours and on evenings / weekends as required.
Reelworld is mandated to give BIPOC individuals more opportunity, please consider self-identifying as such in your application.
Please email your resume and a cover letter to: email@example.com
Deadline to apply: December 31, 2019