CALL FOR PROPOSALS | SOUNDSTREAMS
Soundstreams is pleased to launch their annual New Voices guest curator program!
New Voices provides mentorship for Canadian artists and programmers with curatorial aspirations in the new music field. The successful candidate will develop a concert program for a premiere on Soundstreams’ Main Stage season.
One applicant will be selected to work with artistic director Lawrence Cherney over the course of one year to realize their proposed concept. They will also work with other senior staff to develop practical skills to evaluate cultural, aesthetic, marketable, logistic, and financial aspects of developing concert programming in a mid-size performing arts company.
The successful applicant will receive a fee of $2,000, and access to a project budget, to produce a concert in Toronto. If residing outside of Toronto, Soundstreams will cover travel and accommodation expenses for the curator to attend rehearsals and final performance. Soundstreams will also provide access to their offices, and ample support from the administrative and production team. Applicants from all across Canada are encouraged to apply.
The selection process will have two stages: first, a jury will evaluate submitted proposals and determine a shortlist; then, each shortlisted candidate will meet with Artistic Director Lawrence Cherney to further discuss the proposals and develop ideas.
Soundstreams believes in the power of new music to inspire ‘cultural conversations’ around a theme. They aim to provide a space for conversations to unfold through belonging, trust, and relationships. They frequently frame these conversations through four distinct programming approaches:
- Highlighting important Canadian stories and perspectives
- Intercultural considerations of a theme or concept
- Cross-genre considerations of a theme or concept
- Contextualizing Canadian composers with historical works and those by their international peers
Soundstreams is particularly interested in proposals that:
- Have deep Canadian content • Have a strong and unifying theme or concept
- Have social/cultural resonance for audiences that will vary greatly in their previous exposure to new music
- Prioritize new and diverse perspectives
- Consider how the program might translate for online streaming (in addition to live performance)
- Program length should be approx. 60-75 minutes.
- Demonstrable experience in programming, curating, and/or project development (this can include your own work as a performer or creator)
- Knowledgeable in contemporary music, trends, and issues
- Applicant must be available to meet semi-regularly either in person or via teleconferencing
- Applicant must be available to attend all rehearsals and final presentation, projected for March 2022 in Toronto
- Applicant must be a Canadian citizen currently residing in Canada
The application form can be found at soundstreams.ca/newvoices
Please be prepared to upload your CV, as well as the following:
1. PROJECT PITCH (1-2 pages PDF): Provide as much information as possible about your proposed concert. This description should elaborate on:
- The theme or concept (and why you think it is a good fit for Soundstreams)
- What you hope the audience will take away from this experience
- Repertoire and genre(s)
- Instrumentation, indicating preferred performers if relevant
- Technical and feasibility consideration
2. WORK SAMPLES: Please submit audio, video or image samples that demonstrate your recent work in programming, curating, and/or project development. Where possible, include PDFs of house programs with repertoire, program notes, press clippings, etc.
Deadline: November 1, 2020
To see the full request for proposal and apply, please visit https://soundstreams.ca/education/new-voices/
If you have questions about the application process, please contact Emma Fowler at email@example.com