CALL FOR ARTISTS | CLINTON STREET JUNIOR PUBLIC SCHOOL
Call for Artists: Public artwork at Clinton Street Junior Public School, Toronto
Clinton Street Junior Public School is located in the Little Italy, near College and Clinton Streets in downtown Toronto. Clinton has long been the site of a diverse neighbourhood with the school bringing in many different people to the specialized programs it offers.
Over the last 30 years, a very special woman has been one of the rocks that held the foundation of the Clinton Community together. Their beloved school secretary, Zilda Silva has welcomed absolutely everyone that ever crossed the threshold. With Zilda contemplating retirement, we wanted to commemorate her role as not only the school secretary, but as a community builder and integral part of our Clinton Family.
Anyone who has ever been in the office at Clinton couldn’t help but notice the owls. They graced everything from knick-knacks, drawings made by the children, coffee mugs and many small sculptures in various media. The owl as a symbol has many different meanings across several cultures, but is often seen as a sign of wisdom and intelligence. What better way to honour someone with so much wisdom and intelligence than with a sculpture of her favourite bird – the owl.
North-East end of the school, facing Manning Ave, on the grass the school wants to place a large stone/boulder and have some kind of owl sculpture inset into it. The stone would be large enough to be safely climbed and sat upon, rested against and also act as a plinth for the Owl Sculpture. There will also be a small plaque.
View site on Google Maps
$5000.00 Canadian including all taxes. The artist will have some input onto the selection of the stone, and design of a plaque but this budget and call is intended for the production of the sculptural owl element.
This program is open to all artists in all stages of their careers, working independently or in collectives. Previous experience presenting work in public spaces is an asset, but not required. Given current travel restrictions, Clinton is unable to support travel for this project and will prioritize local and Ontario-based artists.
- In one page or less, tell us about your past work, how it is related to this call and how you see it engaging the space.
- CV or resume
- Images of past work, including links to website or video if applicable. 5-10 Jpegs preferable with 1024 pixels on the largest side@72dpi . (thank you!)
- Please send to email@example.com. with your name and OWL SCULPTURE in the Subject line eg. Jane Smith, Owl Sculpture. You may also address questions to this email which will be answered (possibly in a Zoom Session Q and A if there are enough)
- July 31: Call for Proposals Announced
- Aug 17: Q+A and application support for artists (via email, Zoom, etc.)
- Aug 31: Deadline for Submissions 5pm, EST.
- Sept 15: Announcement of Selected Artists
- Sept 15 – October 31: Project Development (sketches, production budget, maquette. Each selected artist will be given a $100.00 honorarium to produce the development plan and budget. Possibility of community engagement and feedback session.)
- Dec 2020: Finalist selected.
- March 2021: Stone selected, plaque and sculpture designed and cast.
- Spring 2021: Work installed and unveiled
Deadline for submissions: August 31, 2020, 5pm EST
Original post here.