AWARDS | SOCAN
SOCAN Foundation awards emerging Canadian musical and audio-visual composers and songwriters producing high-quality original works that deserve to be recognized
A wide variety of awards are available to recognize the remarkable talent we call Canadian music-creators across genres.
TD Indigenous Songwriter Award: Deadline (TBA)
One prize of $10,000 will be offered to the award recipient.
Entries submitted will be examined by a jury of prominent songwriters selected by the SOCAN Foundation. Excellence will be an overriding factor in adjudication. The jury’s decisions are final.
All compositions must be submitted by applicants who are of Indigenous decent. Applications must be submitted by the songwriter by the deadline (TBA).
- The competition is open to songwriters who are of Indigenous decent, and may be of any age.
- Candidates must be Canadians and SOCAN members or Canadians who are not members of any performing rights organization.
- Works submitted must be original, composed within three years of the application deadline. Arrangements are not eligible.
- Entries that were award winners in previous SOCAN Foundation Awards are not eligible.
- SOCAN and SOCAN Foundation board members and employees are not eligible.
- Candidates may enter one work per deadline into the competition through the SOCAN Foundation Data Management System (application portal). Candidates must complete an application form and verify Indigenous status to be considered for the award.
- Candidates must provide a brief biography and photo, which may be used for promotional purposes if selected as a finalist and/or award recipient.
- Candidates are required to upload a recording into the SOCAN Foundation Data Management System for judging purposes. Recordings of live performances are preferred to synthesized realizations but both are acceptable.
- Each MP3 must contain one work only.
- Candidates submitting works with texts or lyrics must enclose information as to the source of the text or lyrics, if in the public domain, or proper written permission from the copyright owner to use the text or lyrics in a musical composition.
- Candidates must ensure that required supporting material is uploaded into the SOCAN Foundation Data Management System by the deadline.
- If Candidates have questions, they may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information, prior to the deadline.
Her Music Awards – Sponsored by Re:Sound: Deadline (TBA)
The Her Music Awards (Sponsored by Re:Sound) are designed to celebrate and support female-identified Canadian mid-career music creators who are on the verge of taking their creative careers to the next level.
Applicants must submit an application through SOCAN Foundation’s application portal by the deadline. Award Recipient(s) will be selected to receive a grant prize of up to CAD$5,000.00 each.
All genres of music are welcome. Eligible applications will be considered by a jury of prominent Canadian music creators selected by SOCAN Foundation, in consultation with Re:Sound. Excellence demonstrated through Artistic Merit will be an overriding consideration in the adjudication, in addition to thoughtful demonstration of how the Award would help advance the applicant’s career. The jury’s decisions are final.
To be eligible to be considered for the Award, an applicant must:
- Self-identify as female;
- Be a citizen, landed immigrant or legal resident of Canada;
- Submit a complete application with all required supporting materials by the deadline, which includes, among other things, the following components (see application form in the online portal for more details):
- One original musical work written/composed entirely by the applicant within 3 years prior to the application deadline. Note: Works that were winning entries of past SOCAN Foundation awards, and arrangements, covers, mash-ups, remixes, adaptations and reinterpretations, etc., are not eligible for consideration. Proposal for how the grant prize would be used to advance their career or support the development of their career; Not have previously won any awards from SOCAN Foundation;
- Be a SOCAN member, or be eligible to become a SOCAN member if selected as a finalist for the Awards (that is, the applicant is not a member of any music performing rights organization at the time they are selected as an Award finalist).
- Not be a past or current board member or employee of SOCAN, SOCAN Foundation, Re:Sound or any of Re:Sound’s member organizations; and
- Have their parental/legal guardian sign the application and agree to the below Application Terms and Conditions on the applicant’s behalf, if the applicant will not have reached the legal age of majority in their province or territory of residence by the application deadline.
- A group of individuals (such as a duo or a band) may apply for the Awards together as one applicant, but all individuals in the group must meet all the eligibility criteria above for the group to be eligible to be considered for the Awards. If selected as an Award recipient, the group will receive one award prize.
Submission of Musical Work(s)
In the application, an applicant must provide a URL link to recording(s) of their original musical work(s) that they are submitting for consideration, as well as the text of any lyrics in their work(s). If the applicant is not the author of the lyrics, the applicant must also provide in their application: (a) information regarding the source of the lyrics, if it is in the public domain and not subject to copyright; or (b) written permission provided by the copyright owner of the lyrics for the applicant to incorporate and use the lyrics in their work(s).
Application Terms and Conditions
By submitting this application for the Her Music Awards (“Awards”), the applicant (hereinafter “You”):
Acknowledges and agrees that:
- SOCAN Foundation has the sole discretion to verify the eligibility qualification of each applicant, application, and musical work submitted for consideration for the Awards, to determine which applications are eligible to be considered by the Awards’ jury, and to decline any application for any reason;
- SOCAN Foundation also has the right, in its sole discretion, to require proof of identity and/or eligibility, in the form acceptable to it, for the purposes of verifying eligibility qualification and administering the Awards. Failure to provide such proof to SOCAN Foundation’s satisfaction within any specified timeline may result in disqualification;
- SOCAN Foundation and Re:Sound (collectively, the “Organizers”) have the right (but not the obligation, as applicable) to:
- Cancel the Awards at any time without awarding any of the award prizes;
- Make changes to the Awards and any component or process thereof, including the application deadline, any timeline and the amount of the grant prizes, or suspend the Awards, at any time, including after the Awards finalists or recipients are selected or confirmed;
- Publish the names of the Awards finalists and recipients on their respective websites, accounts on social media platforms and any other channels; and
- Promote the Award recipients through various platforms and channels that are not within the control of either Organizer, including but not limited to social media platforms, all without any lability, compensation or obligation whatsoever to any applicant.
If selected as an Award finalist, prior to being confirmed as an Award recipient:
- You will be required to provide to the Organizers (or agree to obtain for the Organizers, if necessary) certain licences, warranties and indemnities relating to the rights in Your song(s) and express consents for certain uses by the Organizers of all information about You and the musical work(s) collected in connection with the Awards, all without any additional payment or restrictions, for the purposes of administering and promoting the Awards. SOCAN Foundation will provide You with the relevant form to give such licences, warranties, indemnities and consents;
- If not already a member of SOCAN, You will be required to become a member, and register the musical work(s) submitted in the application, within 30 days of being informed that You are selected as an Award finalist. Re:Sound will receive information about the applicants and may contact you to become a member.
- The completion of all of the above actions as applicable is condition precedent for a finalist to be confirmed as an Award recipient and to receive the grant prize. If the finalist consists of more than one individual, the completion of all of the above actions by all individuals as applicable is condition precedent for the finalist to be confirmed as an Award recipient and to receive the grant prize;
- If confirmed as an Award recipient, You will submit a final report to SOCAN Foundation, in the form provided by SOCAN Foundation, detailing Your use of the grant prize by no later than 18 months after receiving the grant prize; and
- If the Award recipient consists of more than one individual, the grant prize will be awarded to one individual of the recipient, and it is the responsibility of the individuals to decide how to use the prize (including to allocate the prize among the individuals as they see fit). The Organizers have no responsibility to ensure that any such use (including allocation) is made or is equitable and have no liability whatsoever in this or any other regard.
- Represent and warrant that the musical work(s) submitted in this application are original work(s) and that You are the sole creator/author of the work(s).
- Consent to the collection, use and disclosure of personal and personally identifiable information provided in the application (collectively, “Personal Information”) as follows:
- The smartsimple.ca application portal is operated by SOCAN Foundation. After the application deadline, all Personal Information collected will be submitted to SOCAN Foundation;
- SOCAN Foundation may use the Personal Information to contact You in connection with its administration of the Awards and to provide the grant prize if You were confirmed as an Award recipient;
- SOCAN Foundation will not give, rent or sell any Personal Information to any third party, except SOCAN Foundation will share the Personal Information with Re:Sound and SOCAN, who may use the Personal Information to contact You regarding becoming their members and to provide You with information about them and their services, and will share the Personal Information without Your consent if required to do so by law; and
- Confirm that you have read and understood the Eligibility Criteria above and these Application Terms and Conditions, and agree to be legally bound by these Application Terms and Conditions.
If You will not have reached the legal age of majority in Your province or territory of residence by the application deadline, Your parental/legal guardian hereby:
- consents on Your behalf to the submission of this application for the Awards and to the collection, use and disclosure of Your Personal Information as described above; and
- confirms that they have read and understood the Eligibility Criteria above and these Application Terms and Conditions, and agree to be legally bound by these Application Terms and Conditions.
Original posting here.