The Liaison of Independent Filmmakers of Toronto
The Liaison of Independent Filmmakers of Toronto (LIFT) is an artist-run charitable organization dedicated to facilitating excellence in the moving image through media arts education and production resources. LIFT exists to provide support and encouragement for independent filmmakers and artists through affordable access to production, post-production and exhibition equipment; professional and creative development; workshops and courses; commissioning and exhibitions; artist-residencies; and a variety of other services. Founded in 1981 by a small collective, LIFT has since grown to become one of the foremost centres of its kind globally.
Thoughts About Art and Community
The Liaison of Independent Filmmakers of Toronto aims to be the primary community hub for film-related practices and will facilitate the sustainability and production of media art on a local, national and international level.
As a member-driven non-profit organization that provides affordable access to equipment, education and space for those who want to make films, out of a passion for, and commitment to, the practice of filmmaking.
The values in which LIFT was founded upon are as follows:
- Diversity in all its manifestations, including race, ethnicity, language, gender identity, sexuality, class, age, disability, immigration status, film genre and level of experience as a filmmaker.
- Affordable and equitable access to services and programs that minimize economic barriers to creating films.
- The materiality and technology of working with celluloid as a medium.
- Developing and cultivating the "cinematic" qualities within digital cinema and new platforms.
- Serving as a community hub for filmmakers and artists.
- Providing quality service to an engaged and participatory membership.
- Providing a space for diverse communities to produce representations on their own terms.
Workshops: Offering 180 workshops over three seasons each year from camera theory to digital animation, LIFT is a one-of-a-kind training facility that offers practical knowledge to media artists at any stage of their career. Sessions run four to sixteen hours so you can learn a new software program or camera in a condensed time-frame.
Facilities and Equipment: LIFT provides affordable access to production, post-production and exhibition equipment for non-commercial film, video and new media projects. LIFT's equipment rental program strives to make otherwise expensive production resources accessible to the broadest pool of media makers.
Memberships: Our memberships are designed for people at all levels of their careers and abilities. The benefits extend far beyond equipment and classes too. All General, Production and Student members are eligible for discounts with our current partner organizations!
Community Programming: LIFT accepts project and partnership inquiries from non-profit organizations and collectives on an ongoing basis. One-off projects are welcome as schedules and budgets permit, however LIFT is primarily interested in cultivating long-term partnerships with other organizations and collectives.
Professional Development: LIFT provides support to media artists through screening opportunities, production grants, mentorships and commissioning projects.
Events submitted by this member