The Children and Youth Dance Theatre of Toronto
Children and Youth Dance Theatre of Toronto (CYDT), is a registered charity and community based dance academy that nurtures and develop the dance talents of children and youth between the ages of 4 – 21yrs. Our dance academy was created to in 1993 to scaffold and provide a structured, accessible and affordable arts learning program for marginalized children and youth. Our academy serves families living in poverty and in communities where an affordable studio that provides quality training is relatively non-existent.
MISSION STATEMENT: “Promoting artistry, education and cultural awareness through dance.”
Thoughts About Art and Community
The CYDT program would:
• re-introduce on site dance workshops that broaden perspective for educational partnerships
• Establish ongoing artistic learning opportunities through a structured and subsidized program
• Expand accessibility of extra-curricular arts (dance) education for talented disadvantaged children and youth
• Foster educational competence for marginalized students seeking entry into secondary and tertiary arts programs
• Strengthen the opportunity index by playing a fundamental role in building the capacity for talented young dance students in partial communities
• Provide extended studio training opportunities and accessibility for potential children and youth and families looking for an affordable program and year-round dance programs
CYDT trains participants at recreational, competitive, and pre-professional levels. The program offers a wide variety of styles, skill levels and ages from basic introductory classes in Ballet, jazz, Hip Hop, Tap and Acro, to specialized cultural dances and advanced programs. Our participants develop their skills and knowledge as technicans, performers and educators, finding a different life opportunity infrastructure within the community. CYDT’s program provides relevant and appropriate arts education. Our youth train in a safe space, while developing life skills such as discipline, confidence and commitment and relationship skills such as teamwork and collaboration.