Planet in Focus seeks Youth Coordinator
Planet in Focus is offering an opportunity for students returning to school in September to join our team for seven weeks this summer. The successful applicant will hone and develop their marketing, outreach and communication skills supporting Planet in Focus’s youth video production program Youth Camera Action! (YCA) and audience development initiatives for the annual film festival.
Now in its 11th year, Youth, Camera, Action! (YCA) is a two-week environmentally themed program for young people ages 13-18 years of age that takes place Monday, August 8th – Friday, August 19th at Brookview Middle School in Toronto (Jane-Finch community). For youth participants, YCA is an opportunity to learn about the environment, acquire valuable video-making skills, make new friends and create a short environmental-themed video. The films are then screened as part of the Planet in Focus Environmental Film Festival in Toronto and at select national and international locations.
This Youth Coordinator will be primarily responsible for:
- Assisting the Executive Director and the Head Instructor to run the Youth Camera Action! program
‐ Develop promotional materials, letters, contracts, receipts for the program
‐ Research promotional outreach, provide outreach to schools, community centres, and youth programs to recruit participants
- Liaise with partnering organizations and participants leading up to the program
- Provide logistical and administrative support for the program
- Seek sponsors and other supporters
Applicants should possess the following skills:
• Knowledge of film and/or video production
• Interest and/or experience working with youth
• Experience establishing strong group-dynamics and meaningful relationships in a short time frame
• Interest and/or experience with working with equity seeking groups
• Interest in the environment
• Strong communicator and problem solver
• Ability to work with diverse groups and ability levels in a media arts environment
• Ability to support and create a safe and inclusive environment
• Demonstrated cultural competence and experience working with a diversity of communities/cultures
• Organized, outgoing and highly motivated
• Other duties as assigned by the Head Instructor and / or the Executive Director
Eligible candidates must pass a vulnerable people screening procedure, which may include a police background check.
The job will be 7 hours per day for 7 weeks. The applicants must provide own transportation to and from the locations.
Start date will be on Tuesday, July 5. The position will run until Friday, August 19. There will be one day of work on Saturday, August 5.
The position will work out of the Planet in Focus office from July 5-August 5 (Distillery District, King Street East/Parliament Street) and Brookview Middle School from August 8-19 (Jane Street at Finch).
To apply, mail, fax or e-mail a resume and cover letter by 5 pm on Wednesday, June 15, 2011 to:
Mail: Youth Coordinator c/o Planet in Focus
The Distillery District, 55 Mill Street, Case Goods Warehouse,
Building 74, Studio 402, Toronto, ON, M5A 3C4, Canada
Planet in Focus is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We thank all applicants, but only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.