Employment: Manifesto Lead Designer
Manifesto Community Projects is looking for driven, dynamic people to join our team who are passionate about the power of arts, culture, and community to change lives.
Now moving into our 5th anniversary year, Manifesto has grown to become Canada's largest hip hop and urban arts festival and one of Toronto's fastest-growing, youth-led non-profit arts organizations. We're working hard to build on this foundation, and these new positions will play crucial roles moving forward.
Term: March 1 – December 1
(Higher output volume from July to Sept)
Reports to: Creative Director & Executive Team
Synopsis: The Lead Designer will play a vital role in continuing to build the Manifesto brand and communicating with the public through the innovate design of powerful creative and communication assets.
• Demonstrated knowledge, skill, and experience in graphic design, layout, identity design, web design, etc.
• Demonstrated knowledge of print production procedures and requirements.
• Demonstrated knowledge, skill, and experience of photography and photo processing techniques.
• Proficiency with creative production software such as Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, etc.
• Basic knowledge and experience with HTML and CSS design and development
is an asset.
• Skill in rendering, illustrating and sketching and in interpreting messages into visual and metaphorical form.
• Strong creativity and ability to distill complex ideas and information down to powerful visual communications language and materials.
• Ability to work well independently and manage effectively under pressure of highvolume production and tight deadlines.
• Dedication to quality, consistency, timeliness, originality, and innovation.
• Ability to take criticism well and synthesize multiple ideas and perspectives into stronger outcomes and solutions.
• Ability to work across mediums with skills beyond traditional graphic design & layout a major asset, including media such as motion design, interactive/interface design, apparel design, product/package design, animation, environment/interior design, Flash design etc.
• Skill in both written and oral communication.
• Ensure Manifesto’s creative department’s work is aligned with the organization’s brand legacy, mission, budgetary, programming and strategic goals.
• Build on the creative vision for the Manifesto brand and oversee a team of design interns accountable for the branding, design and production of all internal and external communications and creative assets *(see list below)
• Shadow the current Creative Director to gain a comprehensive understanding of the organization including an understanding of all previous branding and creative assets, communications strategies, standards, etc.
• Manage the creative production schedule for all designers and design projects, and work closely with Outreach & Internship Director regarding intern scheduling.
• Communicate with Intern Director to know when interns are coming in, keep them on track, train them as needed, etc.
• Work with programming partners, Executive Team and stakeholders to ensure brand integrity, quality and consistency across the Manifesto platform. Assure the organization’s programs/initiatives/communications are consistently presented in a strong, positive, relevant, and clear manner.
• Assist with the quality control of all external Manifesto material including proofing, reviewing, measuring, and evaluating creative output and project processes.
• Work closely with the Outreach & Internship Director and Executive Team to identify potential design interns.
• Communicate and work with printers, manufacturers and other producers to ensure quality output of all Manifesto-related promotional and communications assets
* Creative Assets include but are not limited to: Promotional printed media (flyers, posters, brochures, etc.), online promotions (web banners, e-flyers, HTML/CSS content layout, etc.), animated promo spots, festival magazine, mechandise, site plans, mixtape covers, reports, proposals, and other internal/external communications materials, etc.